Saturday, November 15, 2014

One We Will Never Forget

Well the elusive winter set in on our side of the mountain.  A friend and I were talking the other day and she eluded to the fact that Cam and I never seem to be on the easy path... it's always the path of MOST resistance.  Maybe we like to punish ourselves, or maybe we don't feel alive unless we are hanging upside down by the tip of our toes over a burning fire...

Most of you probably know, but we used to love all the Alaskan survival shows... one thing we always noted was how much time is spent merely surviving.  Getting water, making fire, acquiring food, staying warm.  It all becomes very basic when you take modern conveniences out of the picture, but that doesn't mean it doesn't take time and lots of work.  Granted, we are still cruising to the grocery store, but it is amazing the hours Cam has spent collecting water, thawing pipes, or contemplating how to keep our water supply running in the almost two months we have been living in the trailer.  I make a bonfire daily when I get home from school, and while we have a good stack of wood, it's disappearing quickly!   On the other side of our life, I am in a super intense nursing program that requires I am prepared... and don't look like a dirty pioneer in the mornings. 

It's taken me a while to contemplate this post, because there is a fine line between talking about struggles and whining.. but I want to give an accurate portrait of some of the challenges we have been facing...
  • Laundry: I used to do at least a load of laundry a day..  With kids and a hard working guy I had plenty to do!  Now we try to stretch it to once weekly.  Not our most favorite chore.  The Laundromat is a combination between the mall and Jerry Springer.  It would be a great place to study society. 
  • Cold:  It hit 9 degrees on my way to clinicals the other morning... There has literally been ice on the inside of some of our trailer walls!  Luckily our neighbor gave us some hay bales to put under our trailer... WOW!!! What a difference that made.  Nevertheless it has forced us inside at earlier hours which makes for some crazy toddlers at times. 
  • Water: Constantly running water was just a passing luxury as pipes are frozen daily now, adding another task to Cam's schedule and taking time away from other projects.  Showers are timed at just the right point in the afternoon where they are late enough to last into the next day and early enough that the pipes are still ok. 
  • Shop: Building is coming along, doors should be up soon and then we will get inspected and be able to move our trailer in and get going on the luxuries (washer/dryer, TOILET, and fireplace).  It's really looking good. 
  • School:  Talk about a challenge!  This is an intense and unforgiving program... You fail a test and you are done.... Yikes.. Talk about pressure. I had to re do my first, (#5 of 6) skills test, which was a hit to my ego, but I'm trying to remember all the good sports psychology I know and keep my head right!  We are finally out working in the community though and that has resurged my commitment to become a great nurse. 
It is  crazy, and I know for our loved ones it seems REALLY crazy.  But Cam and I have yet to back down or give up on a challenge and we certainly aren't going to start now. 

Oh and for anyone who hunts... talk about bucks galore... cold weather really brings them in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...