Thursday, December 4, 2014

Problem Solving 101


Ok my few faithful followers.  I am back, somewhat.  Back to struggling with internet service.  I really have enjoyed hearing everyone’s feedback on our stories… I gotta say, the outhouse is a big topic of conversation surprisingly (who knew it would be such a hit)!  I’m glad we can keep in touch and give everyone a sense of what like has been like for us.  How has it been…hmmmmm…. Cam calls it problem solving 101 around here.  I feel like we’ve climbed so many metaphorical mountains that we should probably be in a lot better shape.

Let me rewind a few weeks to our first snow on November 21st.  I had come home from my last day of clinicals to a wonderful winter wonderland, and two happy kiddos.  What a feeling it was to have our first snow, somewhat magical I’m not going to lie!  We made it through 9 degree weather, I made it through another milestone at school, and nature’s beauty rewarded us.  Even as a kid I always felt the snow just blanketed the world… muffling noise  
 
 
and bringing this calm peace and happy excitement.  That held true… for a couple more hours at least until our visitors, who were trying to drag themselves and a travel trailer to our property got a dose of Problem Solving 101.  Let’s just say it took a FEW trucks to get them up our driveway where we immediately threw them into slave labor so we could get the insulating machine back in the morning….  Through their stay their water heater broke, quads broke down, quads broke the tailgate, and departing wasn’t much easier than arriving!  Talk about fun J Great visitors though and much appreciated for their cooking for us and company. 

We did manage to move the trailer into the shop on Day 2 of Snow.  WHEW…..  Words cannot express the feat that Cam accomplished by doing this.  Tasks that consumed Cam’s day (thawing hoses, fixing hoses, patching hoses….and repeat) are now much easier or avoided altogether.  Our good friend Mr. Sands, once again came to our rescue over Thanksgiving and blessed my life with the joys of modern day convenience: TOILET….. SHOWER… AND….. WASHER/DRYER.  I continually think that if I can ever repay this man for half of the generosity he has shown us, I will be moving in the right direction.  HONESTLY>>> my life has significantly changed.  I may have become a born again housewife.  Laundry is so enjoyable I practically throw food on the kids myself!  And flushing a toilet… walking indoors to do so…. Pretty fantastic in negative 1 degree weather.  So now, thanks to the hard work of many men we have an insulated shop, equipped with a woodstove (awesomeness), a bathroom with washer/dryer, a cook stove and fridge.  Sleeping is still done in the trailer but we no longer battle the cold and have freely running water and electricity.  SO MODERN! 

I made our first voyage back to the homeland over Thanksgiving.  The kids traveled wonderful and driving conditions were great.  Being home…it was so fabulous to see everyone, catch up, share and give thanks with those we love!  It went by so fast, and I missed about a half of my list of people to see.  I did miss this land though.  It’s becoming ours… We are making a life here, and it feels good!  Exploring the area, establishing relationships with neighbors, working for every ounce of what we have on this property.  There is definitely a part of me that feels I have brought my family history full circle.  I’ll be proud to raise our kids here because those are the stories I love the most… country folk, animals, hard times, struggle, and FAMILY.  Cam and I are lucky that we share that goal.  Nothing is really ideal right now honestly, but there are only two options when faced with Problem Solving 101… roll over or start climbing..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...