Tuesday, December 23, 2014

It's The Holiday Season

Whew... We now OFFICIALLY have internet service.  Hopefully unfaltering and steadfast ready for nursing school, late night craigslist extravaganzas, and of course this.....  Like many obstacles that we have conquered on this journey... it's weird to have easiness at our fingertips.

Let me backtrack a little to catch up on where we are.  I successfully survived my first quarter of nursing school.  There is much I could write about this, but since survival seems to be the theme, we will leave it at that... and pray for repeat survival for the proceeding 6 quarters.

We spent our first nights in a real bed and bedroom after school was over.  So nice to have a real mattress!  The kids stayed a couple nights with my folks while Cam and I journeyed to the wine country of Walla Walla for a short stay in a gorgeous historical hotel.  We had such a good time, I would highly recommend visiting there (just ignore the high security prison on the way into town).  Good food, wine, scenery, and company...and a couple snowmobiles to call our own.

Back at home without kids was... well quiet.  We worked around the shop, ran errands, did some unsuccessful coyote hunting, and honestly didn't do all that much. Our hopes for big snows have been crushed by El Nino, and we have been left with more rain than expected and lots of challenging road conditions.  Still have my hopes up to get more snow though.

Cal and Dottie graciously returned our kiddos to us and spent a couple days here.  We journeyed out on the quads (in the snow) to find a Christmas tree.  I really wanted a pine tree to truly get a taste of

the local flavor, and we found a beauty not far from the shop.  Cam let me cut it down with the chainsaw and I have to say it looks grand in our "living room."

My folks and Cam and Michael were next on the party schedule and we enjoyed steaks, decorating Christmas cookies, and the Polar Express with them.  Everything was going as smooth as a sunburn
on Santa's belly UNTIL..... we had no water.  Apparently the electrical board for the pump in the well didn't like being submerged in 5 feet of runoff.  Being without water is really annoying, but also extremely frustrating for people who just acquired the ease of running water and flushing toilets (and now have 4 guests as well).  I told Cam it's not necessarily the fact it broke, but the fact we had already hurdled this obstacle, and going backwards is well, not quite as productive as going forwards.  After a good chunk of money the next day though, hooked back up and flushing away!

Here's the update on our living situation now: pretty much a full kitchen (fridge, stove sink, laminated wood countertops and open shelves--loving these), bathroom remains the same with currently flowing water to tub, toilet, washer/dryer, 1 bedroom for me and Cam with our bed, dresser, and a bit of shelving.  The kids are still sleeping in the trailer which will hopefully make it's exit soon.  I didn't love this arrangement, but Bear still comes and finds me to snuggle at his usual time, so I guess all is right with the world.  They've taken to falling asleep and sleeping together in the same bed, not sure if this will come back to bite me, but I love the closeness they share, and am glad they find safety and comfort when close.  Today Cam built a railing around the loft which will soon be a kids play area/storage/guest "bedroom."  It was a big chore, but looks great and will be so nice for them to have a space of their own.

As most of you are, we are preparing for Christmas.  Santa seems like a hot topic around here this year, which is so exciting! It is different being on our own of course, but it has it's own peace as well, and for a moment we can relax and reflect on the journey these last three months have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...