Monday, December 8, 2014

A Survival State of Mind

We have awoken from the dark ages... Yes, we now have DirectTV.  We live in a shop, cement floors, no furniture (well I'll come back to that), plywood countertops, some drywall siding, but we have like 500+ channels.  I'm still not sure how I feel about it, well I guess I know, but one has to compromise when one has made vows.... 

I somewhat enjoyed the quietness of no TV.  I have no clue what is new in the movie theatre or what celebrities have been acting foolishly; it was quite freeing.  But, when winter sets in and kids get restless, I'm not going to lie, sometimes a movie is a saving grace for a bit of peace, and let's not forget NFL Sunday ticket.  Nevertheless, we are hooked up and besides the game on Sunday and all the subsequent games, have not had enough energy to finish a show.  Cam is greatly enjoying his recliner though (that's the furniture I was mentioning). 

Enjoyed the weekend with my parents.  The kids were thrilled to have them and I was happy to have someone to cook a huge cream and butter laden breakfast for now that I have a regular sized stove (French toast casserole and biscuits and gravy--- woah).  We always wonder what people think coming over; leaving our beautiful home and the normalcy/comfort of regularity.  We really aren't freezing or hungry, but I'm sure our living situation would be strange for some! 

Went for a late night (7 or so.. late now that we're parents), quad ride in the snow one night.  A little tricky navigating the ice.  Cam told me to go against natural instinct, let off the brake and give it some gas.... if that is not a metaphor for our life right now I don't know what is.  It's crazy at times, and yes I at least feel a little like I'm sliding around trying to gain some traction, but sometimes the best thing to do is just to let go, and press on, the ice has to melt at some point. 

I finished my first of 3 finals this morning.  I saw a sign the other day that said "I'm a nursing student... now I understand the reason for the nursing shortage".... HA! So True!  Sometimes I want to just be a farmer (well all the time if it paid near as well).   Stress relief on a homestead (yes with DirectTV) consists of chopping wood, then a quad ride to check the game cams and explore the area.  Not too shabby of a way to spend an afternoon with the family. 

Work continues in the shop.  Cam's working on a bedroom for us, we now have lights in the bathroom, and our kitchen sink seems to have stopped leaking.  Small Success everyday.  I have two more nights of hitting the books hard and then I'm sure will have some good stories from our time off.... A sneak peak: Christmas tree cutting in the wilderness, toddlers and quads in the wilderness, may be purchasing some snowmobiles, and possibly some husband-wife coyote hunting while the kiddies are away at Grandma's.... 

1 comment:

  1. ❤️ reading your terrific writing & hearing of the slippery life you are experiencing! What memories of a sweet simple life you are creating!

    ReplyDelete

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...