Saturday, January 10, 2015

Adaptation

On the way home today we were discussing how we hardly feel the cold around here anymore.  I generally wear a sweater when running errands or going to school, but the length of our outdoor adventures has greatly increased.  If the weather stays above 20 degrees we are good to go, with life progressing as usual.  We ride quads, play outside, go for walks all in weather that usually would have been cause for alarm.  I guess you could say we are adapting. 

There has been a lot of that along this journey.  First it was adapting to the change of lifestyle.  Being compressed into functioning out of a trailer forces quick mental and physical change.  It meant starting a generator before any power could be provided, walking 100 yards (downhill one way) to use the "facilities," and all the problems associated with these activities in 9 degree weather.  Then it was me transitioning to life outside of being mom and housewife and only part time employee.  It's been transitioning to having a village like support system, to being alone, 20 minutes on gravel, to a road that can't even be found on GPS.   It's Cam planning how to provide power, water, and living amenities on a BARE piece of land with our name on it.  I could write a book on all the challenges he has already faced. 

For years I have kept in my car a little note my dad wrote that says "Loop--Remember it's about the journey when you get to your destination."  Although I looked at it everyday for who knows how long, it's really sunk in lately.  One thing we always say is how busy we constantly are.  There is always something going on, and more often than not several somethings at a time.  Ever since we got married it has literally been non stop, kid, work, friends, family, school,  another kid, repeat, move.  How many times during a week do you think "wow, I am so busy where did the week go?"  You want to know why???  It's because we are living in auto pilot.  How often do you actually think about what you're doing?  It's more so zombie land... get up, feed kids, shower, go to do whatever it is you do, come home, eat, bed.  Repeat... Repeat.. Repeat...   We have all the amenities to make it easy, but our brains, and more so mindfulness are wasting away in repetition. 

I've been doing a little experiment lately, because my days are so packed.  I'm going from 5:30 to sometimes 1 in the morning.  Kids, school, studying, husband, and somewhere in between eat and use the indoor "facilities."  I've been trying to actually think about what I'm doing.... being in the moment if you will.  It's amazing what it will do to your day... I highly recommend trying it.  Turn off the auto pilot and just pay attention to what you are doing, the people around you, and the task at hand.  Just an idea....

School is back in full swing.  I can't believe how much we have to read.  I'll be starting in the local hospital this Thursday working both Med/Surg and OB.  Very exciting.  It's a different world over here, the whole hospital is about the size of the floor I used to work on. You need to be knowledgeable in many different areas, which is scary now, but something to look forward to in the future.

We took the kids up to Osoyoos, across the border last night for a little get away.  Got a hotel, swam, and went out to eat.  It was a nice little break from studying and got us out of the mountains for a bit.  Exploring new places is one of our favorite things to do with whatever spare time we can focus in on.  Back at home now and spent the day messing around outside.  Cam set up a 300 yard target for his guns, and I worked on shooting my bow, then some snow time with the kids. 

We are certainly getting in a routine around here, but it still feels new and exciting.


"An Arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.  So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that its going to launch you into something great.  So just focus, and keep aiming."


        

       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...