Sunday, February 22, 2015

I always tell Cam that I don't know how this blog will continue, because I'm not the world's most exciting person, but I always seem to have things to catch up on and talk about....
Bear turned 4 this past week.  Hard to believe really.  Seems like just yesterday Cam and my mom were plotting against me to get me to the hospital so they didn't have to deliver a baby on their own.... I always have thought Cam would've done just as good as any doc! 


To celebrate the big 4 year old we took a little road trip to Idaho.  A nice novelty about moving is being able to explore farther East then we have in the past.  Kellogg, Idaho was our destination, a quaint mining town now host to a ski resort and indoor waterslides! We hit Cabela's and Couer d' Alene on the way, and enjoyed a scenic drive through Northern Washington and into Idaho. Kellogg, once home to a silver mine, now is a resort town nestled in the mountains and near a beautiful Idaho river.  It was a gorgeous weekend for exploring new territory.  After waking up "in a new state," as Cam likes to remind us, we had some time to kill before hitting the slides; so we decided to go on the longest gondola in the United States!  A 3.2 mile climb to the ski lodge above the town.  The kids loved it, as did we.  We have grown  used to seeing the open land, and the trees seemed a change for us.  Next, was the waterslides!!!  What fun to watch Barrett.  I am so happy with his courage and adventurous spirit.  As a mom, I of course am protective and always wondering how he will handle different situations, but at the same time we intentionally encourage exploration, and he never fails to amaze us.  Once he figured out the slides, it was on!  Even Kendyl, running on no nap, was game for anything!  Bear was so proud to go on the slides by himself!!  There is nothing like the joy of your child. 
The kids wore themselves out.. Kendyl tried to fall asleep at dinner and was "officially" in bed by 6:30 and slept for 13 hours or so!  If a child's happiness is measured by how hard they sleep, I'd say we had an all around successful birthday weekend.  The resort is gorgeous and I could definitely see heading back sometime. 
We arrived back home to Cal and Dottie, who had joined us the week before we left, after one of my long school weeks.  Very nice to spend some time with them, and enjoyed another birthday celebration for Barrett and Cam.  It's nice to have the company, even when I have my nose stuck in a
book.  Cal gave Cam a hand with the endless pile of wood we seem to have, and they were able to take the quads out.  We always enjoy their company!

This was a short week for me (only one day of school and no clinicals), and let me tell you.... I could get used to this schedule!  We took advantage of the sun, and melted snow, to get up in the state land above our property to look for shed antlers.  We didn't have any luck on the shed front, but it was nice to stretch our legs, get outside, and reacquaint ourselves with the territory.  We were impressed how much Bear hiked, and it felt good to be out and about.  Cam continued to work on the wood pile throughout the week and me and the kids have had some good outside time.  I was able to get a good run in as well.  We seem to be gaining strength.   

Had a good visit with the neighbors and 3 of their kiddos today; nice to have some kids around, and some adult conversation as well.  The kids play hard, and I know it's probably good for them to see some faces other than ours every once in a while.  We certainly spend a lot of time thinking about their future and how we'd like to attempt to shape it.  Maybe the norm isn't all it's cracked up to be, this world sure seems to be in a spiral.....  We have a lot of unknowns right now, our 5 year plan is definitely written in sand for easy editing.  Nevertheless, our wings are stretched and the view is fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...