Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Thaw

I apologize for the delay... extra moments are hard to create these days.  I definitely have been letting down my publisher (Cam). 

Things here are.... MUDDY.  I believe we may have seen the last of the snow fall, but we aren't counting it out.  Nevertheless, the roads are a Jeep's dream.  We have gotten some reprieve from the fog that has kept us socked in, and I have to say, WOW!  Cam and I walked up to our future house site today and the movies were flowing: drinking coffee soaking in the early morning Eastern Washington sun, a patio overlooking simple beauty, a garden oasis behind the house with the wildlife gracing us with their passing presence.. yes please!  We've been making plans for a chicken coop and a few outbuildings to grace our land.  It's a challenge to start from bare land, but we shape everything that happens, and Cam's hands make it real; there's something to say for that.  We enjoy dreaming up a blueprint, and creating our ranch.  It's nice to think about these things... our goals in the midst of somewhat controlled chaos. 

After a 12 hour clinical day Thursday my husband made me a fabulous dinner that led into a three day weekend.  We took a chance and waded through the mud to the park in Conconully.  It's one of my favorite drives... ranches, rolling hills, and OLD ranches.  The kids enjoyed the park.... until Bear took a spill in an icy puddle. So he rode in his skivvies home.  It's a cute little town.  We were reminded of one of the last times we were there; property searching...Cal and Dottie had come over to visit us.. and it was hot!  We have been here for almost 6 months and have seen summer, fall, and winter, with spring in sight.  Today we rode the quads farther than we have gone for quite some time.  While the ice is less, we took turns pulling eachother out of snow banks.  There is something powerful though about the promise of spring; weathering the storm, the promise of something new and bountiful.    
 
Had a great weekend away with good friends and my parents.  Cam went on his annual coyote derby down near Moses Lake.  I was glad for him to get a break, and he so enjoys the predator chase.  Anna graciously made the journey to our mountain estate to watch the kiddos while I had a long clinical day, during which I of course returned to my car to find a flat tire (the third since moving here).  When it rains it pours!  After a popcorn stop at Les Schwab we met Derrick down in Wenatchee and had an amazing sushi dinner.  It was so nice to visit with them, I had such a great time!  My parents then met us in Leavenworth to enjoy a pre birthday party for Bear and some time together.  What a great place they arranged, a lot of good childhood memories there.  The kids are definitely beyond blessed by all the love they are showered with, and it is nice to reconnect when we can.  We returned home for the Super Bowl with our neighbors and their family.  Enjoyed the good company and good food before the end of the mini vacation. 





School continues to be a challenge.  And yes I seem to have risen to the academic occasion, but it's a hard balance to keep, and I fear I am not the best juggler.  It's a battle I'm trying to keep in stride and remind myself of the end goal for my family and myself.  The journey though, that's where one should place their attention, and I'm trying to hang on to that.  Sometimes not quitting or giving up is the biggest measure of success...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...