Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cricket Massacre of 2015

Twas the cricket massacre of 2000, 10 and 5
Silenced the racket far and wide
And at who's hand did these poor souls expire??
A vengeful housewife, sleep deprived and dire.  

Experts report that men and women face hearing loss in different ways as they age.  Women lose the ability to hear lower, quieter tones, and men more of the high pitch range.  I've often thought this is God's way of providing peace in the household between couples as they mature... as women age and their voice gets a bit more raised, men physiologically CAN'T hear their requests, additions to the to do list, decades of resounding complaints, etc...  In our household, I may not have an elderly partner, but I do have a hunter that has shot guns without ear protection, and a welder that has been exposed to construction and refinery noise for a good length of time.  But, it seems to be a saving grace for him, in a much unexpected way, as of late.

As I have mentioned before, my study time is generally from the moment the kids close their eyes, until the point I cannot resist closing mine (often midnight or so if I am lucky).  I generally enjoy this time of quiet concentration; at least as much as a nursing student with two children possibly can.  This has recently been much disturbed by the most unruly guests though.  CRICKETS.  Now, when you think of crickets, you generally think of warm summer nights, picnics, camping with family and enjoying the peaceful flow of nature around you, possibly with a s'more or a glass of fine wine.  Those are not the type of crickets I am dealing with.  These crickets come equipped with megaphones and I'm fairly certain must be the size of a small cat with all the racket they make.  They like to wait until literally the moment I sit down at my desk, and then..... it's like a fire alarm, I don't know how they are so much louder inside, than out, but my ears are ringing by the time I go to bed.  And Cam..... he can't hear a thing!  It's my own private torture device.

This is generally how our comical nights go lately: bedtime routine with kids, Cam does his thing while I do homework, cricket torture begins, around 11 or so Cam's asleep and I go on a cricket killing rampage, Cam wakes up and comes out to me with flashlight and killing tool of sorts in hand, shakes his head, and we return to our prospective activities.  I can only imagine the thoughts he must entertain about the sanity of his wife.  In true Cam fashion though, he came up with a solution... cricket traps... Strips of duct tape with a line of agave syrup on it.  Two down so far!!!

Apart from our hunting this new species, life in the hills has remarkably continued.  Cal has been with us for the last few days, and I believe he has enjoyed the weather and the ample backroads for ATV adventures.  I was in the clinic for two days this week and have finals looming, so I'm really not
a bundle of fun, but such is life.  We have snuck in a bit of fishing, and have had some great meals courtesy of Cam.  He finally caught a little bear on his game cam, and we came across a mama turkey and her babies tonight on our quad excursion.  Cam, the kids, and I did take in the local rodeo today.  What a great time we had.  The kids, of course, were excited to see the bulls, horses, and cowfolk.  It was a fabulously small rodeo full of locals, free from frills, and such great family fun.  Bear was pretty amazed that yes in fact those guys were climbing on top of those great big bulls!  I'm happy with the culture that our kids will be surrounded with, a bit more home grown, more country to the heart of the word--less show, more content.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...