Sunday, May 10, 2015

Living in Hill Country




It's hard to find flat land around here.  Everywhere you'd like to walk, you are going to go up or down, or probably both whether you like it or not.  I've already thrown away my Romeo's due to their lack of any hiking ability.  And running.... well in my mind I give myself double credit for the distance I go due to the vertical feet I cover; and add a stroller??... I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it.  When we first bought this property I remember hiking up to our highest peak and actually getting a case of vertigo when looking out over our range.  Whenever I run around here, I think of my Dad telling me the story about the football player Waltor Payton and this hill he used to run everyday to get in shape, and how it became somewhat of a legend (come to find out it was a 92 foot hill within a landfill), needless to say, I think he'd be impressed with my series of hills, and he might have appreciated the scenery... if only I had more time to attack them.  It's started to shape how I think of our life over here, climbing hills, sliding down, sweating, struggling, then getting a break and starting it all over again.

My run today took me to the top of Carter Mountain, the highest peak near us, with a 360 degree view allowing us to see Tonasket, the Sinlahekin Wildlife Area, and darn near to Omak.  It's a trek.  It's hard not to have a moment of reverence when you're sitting on top of a mountain; it definitely gave me a moment to reflect, to look down on that little tan spec of our shop and take it all in for a moment (I don't get many moments of peace).  First, I'm happy to have the pleasure of being a mother.  **Happy Mother's Day to all Mama's out there**  What a journey that rocks your world to it's core.  I'm so excited right now about the direction our family is going, and so blessed to see the smiles, laughs, and adventurous spirits of Cam and my little one's.  My mind is on fire right now with all the ideas of where this new life is taking us, and it's giving me a strength in myself I never really explored; to be strong enough to forge the life you want for your children, to not be satisfied with the norm, and most of all to take action to make it all happen.  Thankful, was another thought I had, in between catching my breath.  Thankful for the blessings that Rudy gave us (it would be his 93rd birthday today), and thankful for his legacy of self sufficiency, and all the tales he spoke of and knowledge he possessed. With that I'm confident that Cam and I didn't just choose the easy road, for that would have meant not taking a chance, but instead we set out to forge a new road for our family.

Strength, was another idea that came to my mind.  It's been much like running hills around here for the last almost eight months; climbing and climbing, briefly sliding down and starting another circuit just when you think you are catching your breath.  We have had some incredible blessings, but that doesn't mean it has been without struggle, or elbow grease.  But just like the peace of finding your running groove, sometimes the struggle feels good, gaining some muscle, and knowing that each step you take is due to your own efforts and is making you and those around you stronger.  I told Cam tonight we should be used to this way of life and not stress about anything in our path because we know it will always work out.  But the flip side of that is that it works out because WE work at it.  We are finding our stride as a family--- it's far from perfect, but it's an amazing time of growth and togetherness, and I'm proud to climb any hills with my husband, and I'm not sure there exists one that we could not conquer together.
Homemade Mother's Day is the Best!

Nothing like a good Mule
Needless to say it was a good day!  Cam and the kids made me an herb planter, which I immediately put to use, and me and Bear got a few more things in the dirt, including watermelon starts (which he was extremely excited about).  Dirt is really therapeutic, and of course has wonderful payoffs come harvest time.  I ran during nap time, and later Cam set out to scope out a job he's been hired for.  I knew it was only time til someone asked him for a favor, so this will be a good introduction to business in Okanogan County.  This past weekend we took the kids over to Winthrop to meet up with Derrick and Anna and enjoy the 49ers Day Parade.  Lots of good mules.. and plenty of candy for the kids--who sat with Anna anxiously waiting.  We were able to check out the house of one of my school friends and the kids got some more play time in.  It's feeling good "becoming one with the locals," meeting some new buddies for the kiddos, and putting down some roots.  We all came home tired, a tad sun burned, and with full hearts.




The chicken coop is pretty much wrapped up, besides a few pieces of interior decorating.  Cam made a gynormous pen and ordered a net to span the entire thing to protect our egg droppers and fried chicken breasts from avian predators.  Our brood is growing quite nicely, and with the warm weather, I could forsee them venturing outside in the near future.  What's next you ask??  Possibly a house!  My uncle Pat has blown our socks off and provided us with what could be the fastest real estate deal in history (secondary only to hostile takeovers).  If all stars align, we could be starting in on the countdown from shop life.  We most definitely said we were absolutely never building a house by ourselves again, but I guess that's why they say NEVER say never.  Maybe Cam should not be such a handy guy!!!  I'm actually getting excited looking through plans and talking things out with my husband, who doesn't share quite my excitement as he will be the one building walls not just picking out their color.  Such is life in hill country, one day you conquer, the next you begin again.       
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...