Monday, April 20, 2015

Moments



Johnny Appleseed

 Right now it seems we live for little moments we can steal from the tornado of busyness around us.  While we moved here to find a solace that didn't exist in our life on the coast, we have yet to find ourselves sitting on the front porch watching the cows come home.  That being said... the moments we do find, have surpassed our expectations of Eastern Washington life, and get us through the long weeks we do have. This will be a life that our kids will hopefully flourish in, where running free is the norm, and they will be able to explore as far as their legs will take them.


View From Beneath our Wild Plum Tree

We had another productive weekend working back in Ferndale; it's a bit of a grind, but it's getting there, and man I have to say things are really shaping up.  The place is looking good, and my cousin will be working out there this week, so we will be lightyears ahead when Cam returns this coming weekend.  He's hoping it will only be two or three more weekends, and then the commute over the hump will be done.  It's nice to get to see everyone over there.  Kendyl really latched on to my Grandma, which really filled my heart, and we even were blessed with her fried chicken, which is equivalent to winning the lottery if anyone has ever tasted it.  Better than the lottery.... like hoard in your purse on July 4th sort of good (you all know what I'm talking about).   We were able to spend some time with more cousins and had a great time!  I'm proud to see these guys and the people they are. 


Chicken Farmers
Sunday, it was back over the pass, dinner in Winthrop, and back to the ranch.  I was up at 5 to do some last minute studying for my test today, which went well thank God.  Then, just when I needed a pick me up, a call from the post office... CHICKS ARE IN!  28 little balls of homestead happiness.  I like to order online so I can get just what I want from hatcheries I like, and it's fun heading to the post office and hearing their chirps.  The kids were so excited too, and I was probably enough for all of us... I can't help it, I like my chickens!  So we got them home, Bear got out his wheelbarrow and helped me haul some sawdust from our wood pile, and we got them all settled in.  He kept telling them happy birthday and as carefully as a 4 year old can do, helped me dip their beaks in water to get them going.  Awesome moments!

The weather was gorgeous today, it was warm, and just perfect.  Once we got the chicks situated, me and the kiddos set out on a walk with the dogs, while Cam worked on the coop exterior (I'm waiting until it's completely finished to send pictures because it's so darn cool).  The kids are getting strong legs with all the hills we have, and they can make it quite a ways.  We're still waiting to see our first bear of the season on the property, and I know it will be something when we do.  We stopped for a rest under the shade of our plum tree, and headed back to check on the chicks (Bear is really worried that he is not sleeping out there with them).  We took the Jeep down to the meadow for a scrap lumber run, had some dinner, and set out for another walk around the property/puppy & kid wear out session.







Spring I have to say has taken me by surprise, and completely swept me away.  Our meadows are lush, and hillsides are green with a yellow accent from all the wildflowers.  And the smell!!!  It's like fresh cut grass, mixed with Eastern Washington sage and pine trees... it's amazing.  It's the complete sensory experience right now.  When on our excursions, we watch the kids and tell them how lucky they are!  It's hard to not feel like I am missing out on moments with them with school being so intense, but there are times when I can see our end goal so clearly.... a welcoming cabin, pastures, animals, time to spend together, and an adventurous childhood for our little ones.   The moments are there... They are what we live for!      


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...