Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Puppy Breath

We had a joyous ending to a not so fun weekend... A new member has been entered our family... Vera, an eight week old Rhodesian Ridgeback, and boy she has made quite the splash......................

We left the hills last Thursday after my hospital orientation here in town, headed back to the coast to continue work on Rudy's place.  We arrived at Cal and Dottie's with our trailer, late.  The night was cut short with Kendyl awakening with a burning fever; she had been fighting a cold for the week, but I had been taking care of her at home in an attempt to avoid the doctor.  It must have got the best of her though, as she spent several days acting quite the opposite of her norm.  I was lucky that my mom got us an appointment with our childhood doctor and he was able to take a look at her.  Nothing serious, just an infection, that thank God she has the upperhand on now!  She's such a force, it was hard to see her down and out; luckily our kids have so far avoided any serious sickness, so we would just as soon continue down that same road.

While me and "B" were at the doc's office, Cam dug right in to his project.  It's amazing how much he has gotten done already.  We are constantly amazed by the support system we have and certainly could not get so far without the help of our family and friends.  So far the outbuildings are cleaned out, mobile floor is fixed, carpet's ripped up, walls are taped, and a couple rooms are painted.  Moving right along, and looking a whole lot improved!  As I mentioned, he will be traveling back and forth on the weekends while me and the kids hold down the ponderosa over here.  If only it were an HGTV show that we could just fast forward and see the before and after pictures.....

Kendyl unfortunately missed out on the Easter Egg hunt with my family.  Bear had a great time with the kids and it was nice to see everyone if only for a short time, these weekends never seem to go quite as planned, and always fly by.  Cam took pity on me and agreed to go home a day early as I had not gotten any school work done, and we thought the kids could benefit from being back in their own beds on a bit of a schedule.  So, we set our departure date for Monday.

Monday morning though, we had puppy pickup planned out.  I have been looking for quite some time for a female pup, and as I have mentioned even started to look in South Africa, where these dogs originate.  Granite Falls was where we ended up finding this litter, and Cam went and picked Vera up before we gathered the kids to head East.  We were very impressed with the breeding male and female, they were gorgeous, athletic dogs, and our little one is quite a cutie I have to say.  I'm fairly certain it was love at first sight for her and Bear.  It was like a movie, the boy frolicking in the field with his new best friend.  He's been obsessed ever since, running around with Vera, singing her to sleep, and reading her a bedtime story.  It's pretty awesome, and I think of how tender hearted animals train you to be, and it makes me happy to know the kids feel that too.  So far things haven't been too bad, besides Riggs not wanting anything to do with her, but that we predicted.    

Coming back to this side of the mountains we let out a sigh of relief.  I had a pile of work waiting for me, but something about being over here just clears the vision a bit.  Once we hit the river valley heading North through the Okanogan, I'm pretty sure we have ridiculous smiles on our faces.  This afternoon, Kendyl was feeling a whole lot better so we took the pup on a little walk.  Wild turkeys have been in the area and Cam has been wanting to spread some bird seed to keep them on our property a bit longer, so the 6 of us set out.  We found some good sign of turkey action, and scattered a good bucket full of seed, so maybe we will be able to lay our eyes on some nice fat birds.  I did see a ring-neck pheasant on my morning commute today, and I took it as a sign of good luck.

Tomorrow will be a 12 hour clinical day for me, then Cam will head out when I get home.  My folks are heading over to give me a hand and get a visit in before the turnaround starts for my dad.  I'm excited for them to see how spring has taken over this area, and of course to see the new little one.  As always days are packed to the brim, but we are holding tight to those things that make us smile.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...