Monday, April 27, 2015

Snakes, Tics, and Cremation

Morning View From our Bedroom Window
I know I have been exalting the beauty of spring around here... and believe me, I could go on for posts and posts about it without giving it due diligence... Seeing the seasons change is such a magical, soul filling experience, and I know because it's our first year here, we are especially tuned in to the nuances of the world around us.  We noticed the leaves begin to arrive, the weird dark buds that appeared on the sage brush, the unique sound of the sand hill cranes flying so high above us, and the smell of the sun baked pine needles... aaahhhhh makes you smile right?!  But there is a bit of an interesting side to all this beauty.  As the snow melts, the creatures awaken to, like us, turn their faces to the sun and revel in the fact they made it through another winter, to a time and place of abundance.

I'm talking about snakes, tics, bears... a not so friendly crew really.  

In the same week, we saw both our first snake (not a rattler), and discovered our first tic (on the dog!) and Riggs found another cougar skull.  I have yet to spot my elusive bear, but I know one of these days, we will have our moment of reckoning.  Growing up near a river, the threat of cougars was something we thought of while riding horses or running, but we could generally spend our days outside without a worry in the world.  Living around here requires a bit more spatial awareness.  Am I scared?  Heck No... as my husband would tell you God gave us thumbs (and trigger fingers) for a reason.  Nevertheless, there is a bit more focus on the task at hand when sharing space with those who's predatory instincts far surpass the great white hunter.  We have purchased snake bite kits for all quads and vehicles, and we are,  as of now on the lookout for tics on our person or the animals.  We have instructed the kids on not touching snakes, or sticking hands in holes in the ground.  Ridgebacks are supposed to be flea and tic resistant, which is quite serendipitous.   As far as the lions and tigers and bears.... I'm happy to observe from afar with wide eyed wonder.  I'm a good neighbor (I definitely prefer animal ones), I don't mind sharing this space.... just don't eat my animals, or else!

If My Shop Burned Down, This is What I'd Save
Our chicks have been quite the attention grabbers around the old ponderosa.  I once told Cam let's make the inside of our house extremely boring, so our kids never want to be in there.... he must have made the chicken coop really interesting, because the kids seem to be in there non stop.  The coop is extremely cute, but we may just have a couple ranchers on our hands yet!  It seems though, when you order chicks in the mail, you are guaranteed to lose a couple of birds. Facing the perils of the trip... Flying from Iowa at only a day old, with some green electrolyte goo they put on the bottom of the cramped box, usually means you will say goodbye to a handful.  Seems logical to you or me, but to a 2 and 4 year old, let's just say it makes for an interesting afternoon.  As the kids get older, this part of animal raising is important, and teaches them compassion just as much as caring for the more upright chickies does.  Anyway, we lost a couple chicks, and Bear looks at me and does one of his thoughtful looks and says... "they die?"  The kid is completely aware that a while back we did in fact eat his piggies, but you never know quite how these situations will go, or what sort of counseling you could be setting yourself up for 15 years down the line.  So, I say yes Bear, they die, tell him what probably happened, and that it's ok, but it's an unfortunate loss.  "Sorry chickies" he says as we placed them back in their box.  "Sorry."  Compassion AND a sense responsibility for the lives of our animals... I like that!  I didn't want to just chuck the things in the garbage in front of the kids, so we gave them a proper cremation... a Nordic sendoff right on top of the bonfire. 

On a brighter note... it's fishing season!  I believe my husband has caught the bug, so to speak.  We took a drive up to Fish Lake (about 15-20mins from our house in the Sinlahekin Wildlife Area farther up Pine Creek Rd.) and took the kids and dogs for an after dinner walk.  We spent some of our property hunting time camped out in that area, and man it is something.  It's this valley sunk between the hills that hold clear lakes and cattle country, as well as some of the area Cam has spent hunting these last few winters. The lake is supposed to be full of beauties too, so we will be headed to get our licenses soon.  I'm excited for some family time on the lake, and fish tacos don't sound half bad for dinner.  Bonus! 

Cam spent another weekend over on the coast, working hard with my cousin on the house over there.  We are very grateful for his help, and he is going to continue to do some work for us, which is such an amazing blessing, and will hopefully mean we can take this coming weekend off... FISHING REMEMBER???  Sorry that you cant join us for that Marcus, we love you!  Cal and Dottie came and spent the weekend here, and although I'm not the best hostess at the moment, it was sure nice to have them, and nice to have the company.  Cal got a chance to ride his quad and we all enjoyed stretching our legs.  Monday morning though and it's back at it for me, and I am beat!  This week I also begin an online homeschooling course that I found from a homesteaders blog I follow.  I'm excited to learn a little bit more and get inspired with new ideas.  There's no timeline on it, so I can listen to it as I please.  I'm becoming excited with the potential of shaping this part of the kids lives, and my mind is spinning with ideas.  It will fit well with the family sufficient life we are trying to create for our kids.  Learning as we go, and working toward something together and giving our children skills: wonder, independence, drive, and confidence.
Education is the Kindling of a Flame, not the Filling of the Vessel.  --Socra

      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...