Monday, March 30, 2015

No Limits

A comment Cam and I seem to be getting quite lately is "why do you do this to yourself?" "Don't you have enough going on?"  "You're getting a puppy while going to school, raising kids, living in a shop, building stuff, and your husband is now going to be working on a remodel out of town on the weekends..... Hmmmm, I totally get the generalized reaction and completely agree we may be mentally imbalanced!!!! Our plates are heaping and overflowing, we are bursting at the seams and never seem to have enough hours in a day!  I'm not quite sure why we seem to continually exist in chaos, but luckily for us, it's rarely tradgedy, or bad circumstances that make it so.  In all honesty, it's generally (ok probably more like 129%) our own doing, and I'd be lying if I said we would be content without some sort of action packed, swashbuckling adventure at our fingertips. P.S. so excited to get a puppy and add to the family! 

After a short trip home, Cam returned me and the kids to our Eastern mountain, and he journeyed back to the coast to continue working on Rudy's place for the duration of the weekend.  I felt bad leaving the work crew, but with school starting, I needed to return to the books and try to get a little down time with the kids.  Unfortunately they returned home with colds, so I have been putting my nursing skills to good use ever since..around the clock!  Cam worked from dawn til dusk cleaning out the house with the help of his family.  It's going to require a bit more attention than we had first anticipated, so he will be using my three day weekends to travel back and spend the time working, while me and the little ones hold down the ponderosa.  It's hard to complain about the blessing we have been given, but it will definitely take a bit of creative scheduling and some major elbow grease.

Some might wonder if I'll be ok up here alone.  Besides being away from Cam (which I honestly really hate), I don't mind it.  I feel safe and generally at peace up here.  Me and the kids spend our days wandering around (when feeling well), exploring, and generally have quiet days-- we eat breakfast for dinner, and have lots of snuggle time.  I stay up far too late, but am generally super productive because I don't have anyone to talk to after bedtime hours, so suddenly dusting sounds thrilling, and homework flies by.  On one of my outings with the kids this past weekend, we did have a major discovery..... As you can see, based on the specimen to the right, it seems the bears have made it out of hibernation!  Just a side note--- pictures of "droppings" are fairly common in our family, it's a learning opportunity---strictly science... and "market research" for hunting season!  Found in our "draw," just past the meadow we first called home, we came upon this exhibit while on a walk about.  Post discovery the kids did their best growls...... all the way home.....  Also, just a side note, some people may recommend bear bells, or talking loudly to alert these large animals that you may be coming so as not to scare them... I'd recommend two small children under the ages of 5.  They make enough noise to  alert the bears in half of Okanogan County that we are indeed in the area!  Also, when in doubt a firearm gives you a bit of added confidence as well.  Nonetheless, I have been dying to see the first bear of the year, so we have had our eyes peeled, which in Barrett's opposite world means you walk around with your eyes shut. 

Today was back to business for me.  The first day of spring quarter.  I have to say it felt significantly better than the last two, so I must be getting used to the program... thank God it only took six months!  Should be another busy one, but such is our forte!  I'm starting to see the opportunities this career will allow, both for my family and for my own personal growth.  It's amazing the people you connect with, and the difference you can truly make.  It's a good feeling. 

Spring is in full swing around here.  I never knew it could be so green in the hills around us.  It looks like a different world.  Lush almost... at least for now.  They are already calling for an extremely dry year, so I am trying to enjoy the green as much as possible.  I truly look around and am sometimes just in awe of this place we now call home.  The sky, the hills, it seems endless, and we get to explore it all from our door, or simply sit and revel in the world we are a part of.  I can't wait to live up at our house site where we will have a view of it all.  I'm sure our porch will be available for anyone who needs some view/quiet therapy.  I'll even make ya dinner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...