Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pouring Concrete

I believe both Cam and me have inherited a bit of Gypsy from our ancestors.  We both have within us a taste for "something" new, are rarely 100% satisfied, and haven't, as of yet, been able to sit back and watch the sunset without wondering what will be on the other side of it.  It's something we talk about working on, being able to just enjoy a moment without chaos, but it never seems to quite work out that way.  Like they say though, hard work never killed anybody, and as crazy as our world gets, our elbow grease seems to always get us one step closer to sitting on the front porch enjoying what we have created.   

Well the wood project has finally come to an end.  Cam figures we have around 16 cords... an amount that should last us a FEW years.  Three weeks of splitting, stacking, moving, and a little bit of cursing; we should've kept track of how many hours Cam was hard at it.  I've always really enjoyed chopping wood for it's therapeutic exercise/stress relieving factor, but I'd say I'm ok taking a break for a few years, I'll find other ways to enjoy myself!  Nevertheless, we got it done, and I do have to say seeing the massive plot of diced up timber is something to behold... and be proud of!  We returned the wood splitter to our neighbor for a trade of around a cord of firewood, and took the afternoon off.


My dad had made the journey over to visit us and I'll admit we were not very good hosts.  We put him to work helping us with the wood and when we finished, he got kid duty while me and Cam got a few moments to ourselves.  It was so nice to have him here though, and to show him the progress we had made on the shop and surroundings.  He was amazed by the quiet in these parts, and the kids sure enjoyed him as did we.  Looking forward to the day when we can ride horses again together and explore; and he can put up a little cabin for visiting.  

After he left, we didn't waste much time in getting back to work.  I had my first of four final tests before the quarter is over next week, and we started on the chicken coop.  Cam's had some creative building ideas, and we have collected some salvaged materials from around the property, including some old planks for siding, windows, and a door.  He's hoping it will turn out like an old western building!  I ordered up my chicks, so we should be back in the egg/meat business this year!!!  

There is something about these projects we have been working on... Something well concrete about adding to the ponderosa, setting down some roots/posts and forging our way of life.  We both have made note of this transition several times in the last couple weeks, and I have to say we both seem to be smiling because of it.  I, of course, have always dreamed of the farm life, I love my ducklings under my wing and look forward to all things that this life will bring: fresh food, working together, exploration by horseback, and simple skills passed on.  It gives me motivation to get through school; to be able to work hard for my family... and hopefully someday enjoy the perks of a good job (why not buy a few more cows??).  Cam of course loves calling home a place where mule deer rule the hillsides, and he really excels at homestead skills and looks forward to more self reliance.  I can see him running the smoke house and packing home the food that shares our land and will provide us with the food we need.  We feel like we have changed the trajectory of our arrow... and have no regrets.  Maybe 6 months is a settling in point, or we are just enjoying the "fun" building projects, or maybe it's soaking in that we jumped... and landed on our feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...