Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Over The Mounatins and Back Again

I completed my second quarter of school last Wednesday.  I ended up doing really well and am happy to report I am 29% of the way through this program.... not that I'm counting down the days or anything.  It's amazing the time and energy invested by all in Team Brown to get me through this program, and I have to say it is encouraging to see the fruit of my labor, and hope that feeling will continue through the final 71%.  Things always look so much more pleasant in the spring too.... the sun has been out, it's warming up, and we've been starting on some fun projects around here.  We've
been getting back to hiking around with the kids, and it warms my heart the little projects and imaginative play they come up with together.  They love picking wildflowers for mom, and I often come home with bursting pockets full; it reminds me of the pride we'd have when my grandma would put buttercups in a fancy vase after we we collected them just for her. 

Spring break started right off as we hit the road shortly after I got home from my final exam.  The time has come to begin the process of cleaning Cam's grandfather's home and prepare it for the real estate market.  It's a bit of a daunting task both emotionally and physically, but it is something that needs to get done.  Going through a lifetime worth of belongings with Connie was emotional!  It's amazing the stuff that you collect, and the memories that are left behind when you pass; a trail left by generations of family.  I really felt honored to be part of Rudy's life, and we of course are blessed to be left with so much--both in mind and hand.  Possessions are given meaning by the people who
touch them, the feelings behind them, and the moments they are part of; we pass things on not because we love the color or pattern of a plate that could easily break, but because of the meals that have been served, the conversation that has drifted over them, and the thought that someday, far after you are gone, you will still be a part of the breaking of bread and family togetherness.  I always tell Cam semi-jokingly that I try to do tasks with love, whether it's painting a chicken coop or cooking, maybe it's that same concept, that a little piece of us is left behind for those who come after.
 
Our geographical circumstances have obviously changed a bit though, and we have our work cut out for us with the cleaning and maintenance that needs to be done.  I will be staying here with the kids while Cam makes the journey over the pass to work on the weekends.  It will be tough for a while, but as I have told Cam, we haven't seem to found our limit yet, so I'm sure we will get through it.  For us it seems to come in storms; why wouldn't we get chicks, a puppy, a remodel job, and be separated while going to nursing school???  I often wonder what Rudy would think of our move.  I'm not sure he'd ever really tell us, but I think he'd like the adventure and have plenty of memories to compare it too.  We were able to visit a few family and friends, and even get a date night while we were home, and as always are so thankful for our families help and support with our seemingly never ending projects.  Our shop on the eastern hill is definitely beginning to feel more like home though, and driving home today felt good as the traffic thinned out, the blue sky appears, and you just take a deep breath and slow down
for a minute.... Right before you blow a trailer tire!  Luckily, we were near a gas station right outside of Omak when it happened, but we felt that tell-tale shake (I'm very familiar with flat tires after having 4 since moving) saw the smoke, and our journey was halted.  Not for long though, Cam had that baby changed in no time flat, and we were back on the road, for a short trip home.

The kids were excited to try out some new garden tools my mom got them, so hit the dirt/gravel pile while we unloaded the truck and trailer.  It will be a busy couple days before Cam heads back over the mountain.  I have chicken coop doors and windows to paint, homework will be starting soon, and with the nice weather, we have rarely been inside.  Our farming projects will be pushed back a bit with my farm hand busy elsewhere, but I'm hoping to at least do some container gardening, or maybe a couple small beds.  Under the dry top layer of dust, the soil around here seems surprisingly fertile.  We really enjoy seeing the seasons change in a new place, and although we know the next few months will be challenging, I'm sure they will be filled with new adventures and small triumphs as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...