Monday, October 13, 2014

A Hunting We Will Go

Our first weekend at our property was a lovely one.  Nice weather and time off was a welcome change to the 10 hours we'd been spending on the road the past couple weekends.  And, while we had some chores to do (and I was preparing for my first Exam), there was a sense of some much needed free time as well.  So..  we went hunting! Deer season has brought traffic to our usually barren roads, activity on the surrounding hills, and much excitement to Mr. Brown.  Thankfully, he doesn't mind the rest of the crew tagging along, and I was so happy to stretch our legs and get a chance to explore some new territory. 
 


Our first excursion was up farther into the Sinlahekin Valley.  It was a bit of a drive up Cecile Creek Road, but some cool country.  The Tamaracks lent a brilliant pop of color to the dense woods we were in, and appeared to always have a burst of light on them.  We finally parked the truck and all four of us hiked for around an hour; we didn't see one deer.  Bear did a good job running along with us, and Kendyl rode in my backpack.  We saw some moose sign and plenty of cow pies, that lined the road like explosives.  The kids hit their limit on the way back to the truck and we still had a bit of a drive back home.  I whipped up some burgers for us and the Boyer crew who are set up down in the meadow.  The Brown's hit the sack and Mom got some studying in before pulling the blinds on a good day.



Sunday we enjoyed a good breakfast and then the kids and I hit the local park while Cam did some hunting up on the state land above our property.  The kids enjoyed the park and especially loved a lively squirrel that was hanging out in a nearby tree.  Home for lunch, naps, and another hunting expedition. 
Hunting with my husband reminds me a lot of the book "The River Why?"  Two different personalities/styles/thought processes colliding in one outdoor endeavor.  In that book it's the "plunker" vs. the fly fisherman.  Here it's much of the same.  Much like marriage... you take two very different people and you have to work it out.  Cam always tells me a good hunting partner is hard to come by... I'm working on it! 




The hunt ended on a South looking plateau.  We sat, had some snacks and glassed the hillsides around us.  I'd say it's about the most Quality time could get.  Active, adventuring, together. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...