Monday, October 20, 2014

Oh For the Love of Pinecones....








It's a bit of an inside joke between Cam and me that I have a strange obsession with collecting pine cones from our travels.  I think it began on our honeymoon, and every subsequent trip since then I have picked up one on our camping trips.  He always asks why I am bringing home such a commonplace object, and I always respond that it could be worse.... I could be in to collecting fine art, diamonds, or something more costly.  Sometimes we need a reminder to take joy in the smallest places of our lives.



 


Sunday was not the best day.  Let's just say that technical difficulties and stress do not always play nice.  Luckily my husband is unfaltering in dealing with whatever life throws our way, and Team Brown once again prevails!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday and we are back at it again.  Half day of school for me.  Cam lining up the pump for our well, waiting on the electrical inspector so we can actually get hooked up, and workers continuing on the shop.  All the while racing the proverbial snow this area is known for.  For those who don't know, my commute home is not completely ordinary.  About 20 miles North of Omak you head West toward the Sinlahekin Wildlife Area, a prestigious valley that looks like something out of a Kevin Costner movie; home to Double R Ranch (sells meat to Haggen), and the area that sucked Cam and I in (ranches, mountains, wildlife and VIEW).  From the highway we drive just over a mile and hit gravel, we stay on gravel for the next 20 minutes or so, winding through ranches and canyons, climbing up to our driveway... Still Water Hill Road is our driveway and from gravel road to our house site is just about a mile and a half.  It has been somewhat the topic of conversation among our parents as some of the road borders some steep country.  Let's just say there is no zoning out... full attention is paid to the road and deer alert is high.  It's great :)

After the kids woke up and lunch was had me and the kids set off to hike our property.  60 acres makes me feel like quite the land baron... like I should probably have a horse to ride the fences (hint hint Mr. Brown)... oh and we need some fences too.  There's an anticipatory feeling when you are exploring around here; you never know what you might see: bears, deer, turkeys, grouse, it keeps things interesting.  Bear likes to find the biggest stick he can carry and pretend it's his gun.  It makes for slow walking, but good times.  Here are some of the pics from our journey through the draw today. 



 















It's becoming "normal" life around here.  Good days: delighting in not hearing the hum of I-5, amazed by the number of stars, in aww that this is really our view/backyard.  Bad days, realizing we aren't just camping, there's no king bed and double head shower waiting for us at home... and yes it's pouring out and we have to walk 100 yards in the rain (both ways) to use the bathroom.  .   It's not always pretty... but it's REAL. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...