Sunday, March 1, 2015

Oh Sunday...






This picture pretty much sums up how I feel about Sundays!  I think the Hebrews got it right having Saturday as the day of rest, when you can really appreciate the down time.  Sunday starts out so happy and at home, loving life, family time, and then boom... you're packing up to go back to the grind.  Like what the heck happened to the weekend?  Did it really just disappear??






We had a good weekend here on the 'ol ponderosa.  I had a 13 hour clinical day Thursday, so was more than ready to spend some time at home.  I got a couple gorgeous morning runs in, in the wee hours before the family was out of bed.  The sun is coming up around 6 or so, but until it raises above our Eastern hill, it's quite chilly still (28 or so).  Nonetheless, there is something therapeutic about being out in the morning, and I have to say I have some of the best running ground to explore.  I am certain to improve my leg muscles quickly, as there is only one way to go around here, and that's up.  It's definitely a happy place for me, getting that fresh air exercise, and I don't miss out on family time if I'm early about it.  Things that are different about running over here: Riggs has not worn a leash for months, vertical feet are plenty, cougars and bears are the only creeps I worry about, and I can't remember the last time my piggies hit the pavement....
 
Cam has put some major hours into firewood lately.  We had that log truck load delivered a bit ago, and Cam figures its anywhere from 10-15 cords of wood.  That's a lot.  The kid's are finally over their stuffy noses, so we were all out working on the project throughout the weekend.  Cam borrowed our neighbors wood splitter, and went to work.  We like to argue like an old married couple about the proper way to do wood... I like to chop it normal, and Cam has been wanting a wood splitter for some time.  I tell Cam that it's good for my hand eye coordination in case I ever need to pick up a baseball bat again, and there's something satisfying about chopping wood.... it's the homesteader's gym replacement, not to mention the best source of heat.  That being said, if you saw the pile of wood I'm talking about, you would probably slap me in the face and high tail it to the North 40 (the farm store in Omak) and buy yourself a wood splitter just to HELP Cam.  He figures it will take him through this week at least to finish.... Which is SUPER exciting because then it's chicken coop time. .... YAYYYYYYYYYYYY! I'm pretty ready to have my brood, and fresh eggs back.  I ordered my second catalog from this family owned operation in Iowa that ships out heritage chicks, so I am ready, to say the least!  They do seeds and poultry, mail in order only, no internet... and I sold all the ones I had from them last year when we moved; I had some really cool looking ones, so hope to try them again!   

After our chores were done, we took a drive up to check out Lake Chopaka.  It's North-west of us; taking a gorgeous route through some amazing Double R Ranch cattle land.  Cam salivates about coyote hunting, me about ranch life.... It's a good Sunday drive for all.  Icy roads deterred us from making it to our destination, but we enjoyed the scenery that's for sure, and will try again in a month or two.  As you can probably tell by now, our social life is a lot more reserved around here.  I'm consumed with school, we live somewhat isolated, and we really did want to slow down....  So we do things like talk, entertain ourselves, explore, Cam drinks too much coffee in the mornings and makes us laugh... Really revolutionary stuff people, I highly recommend it!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work Work All Week Long

Sometimes Life Must Be Pondered I've had a hard time being motivated to write lately.  I know everyone enjoys our homesteading tales...